I never expected it to happen: I lost ALL the TeX files of my project documents when I accidentally clean up the codes and data on the git repository. It was indeed a nightmare since I had to reproduce the tedious tex formulas, figures and so forth. Fortunately, I finally obtained a rough recovery of the original documents. Below are the tips I learned.
Develop a Backup Strategy for Important Documents
One would never emphasize the importance of data backup too much. Try to prevent the situation of losing important data from happening with a custom backup strategy. One has to identify the potential risks, the aggregate size of target files, and concerns (e.g., privacy) before determining a proper backup method for best trade-offs.
For me, I typically backup only the code base, TeX files, and pdf, which do not require a large space. The main risks for me are the potential to lose the personal laptop and the unintentional deletion of the files. I don’t care about the privacy issues for my backup files. Hence, I typically backup important documents at cloud storage, e.g., private GitHub repo (which is now FREE for all users) and synchronize it whenever significant changes are made. Such a method would make sure there is a copy at the remote GitHub server even if the personal laptop was lost. Meanwhile, I would be able to trace back to the previous commit even if I accidentally
rm -rf the data. It strikes a proper balance between the convenience/cost and the risks for me.
I tried previously using the portable storage device to back up the data, however, I gave the burden up since I found it both time-consuming (full-backup) and not necessary due to the low utilization of >100GB storage space. For Mac OS users, TimeMachine could be an elegant/fancy option as well, which requires a NAS equipped Wi-Fi router called AirPort Time Capsule.
If It Unfortunately Happens …
For me, I could not restore the data since I cleaned up the
.git folder which encodes the history, otherwise, I would simply
git reset --hard <HASH ID> to help.
In desperate, I realized that I could probably get the data back by scanning the hardware disk. Fortunately (chances to recover depends on if the disk scheduler overwrites the space of lost files, which is probabilistic and less likely as the time proceeds), I obtained the main lost files via the Disk Drill application. Note that for MacOS 10.13+, in order to scan the hardware disk with a third party software, one has to turn off the file system protection temporarily via
csrutil disable command at the terminal of the MacOS recovery mode. Btw, to express the attitude for the data rescue, I paid and upgraded Disk Drill to PRO version :)